Tab-key auto-complete suggestions

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the issue tracker.  I think this project has great potential.  One thing that I would love to see, before I fully adopt this as a replacement to the Windows Command Prompt is better support for directory/file auto-completion with the TAB key.

For example, currently the tab key seems to auto-complete only from the current directory.

In Windows Command Prompt if I type cd \<tab key> it will cycle through all the files in "\" (instead of the current directory).  Same with cd ..\<tab key> it will cycle through all the files/folders in the directory one-level up.  Or cd ..\..\<tab key> it will cycle through everything two-levels up.  Etc...

Also, if a file or directory has a space in it, it should put quotes around the name automatically when you hit tab.  For example: cd \progra<tab> should autocomplete and look like cd "\Program Files"

Hopefully this isn't too confusing :).  I think by improving the TAB-key auto-completion, this would be an awesome replacement!

Thank you!

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

One more note about the auto-completion:

When auto-completing with the "cd" (or "chdir") command in the Windows Command Prompt, the TAB key will ONLY cycle directories, not files.  Pretty much any other command will do directories AND files, but not CD/CHDIR.

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Hi aplocher.

Many thanks for bringing this up. This is definitely an issue, so I'll create one to track and hopefully be able to address it in the coming release.

All the best,

Artak